The evolution of 3D printing rapidly became a vital tool for technology enthusiasts in multiple disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, civil, medical, aerospace, fashion, etc. However, today, it has also gained popularity among the users because of its ease of accessibility and inexpensiveness. Unlike the conventional approach, it uses less time, which makes it one of the most reliable choices for both consumers and companies.
3D printing generally deploys the concept of additive manufacturing to produce highly complex components with simplicity, precision, and perfection. Therefore, to create a 3D printable model, you only need a 3D printer and a blueprint consisting of the layout details of the desired object. But, before you carry out the process, let me aware you that there are a lot of websites that allow free downloading of STL files. However, some might not be free, and you have to pay for it.
So, without further ado, let’s have a look at the comprehensive list of the best websites that allows you to download and print the designs free of charge.
- ThingiverseLaunched in 2008, Thingiverse is owned by MakerBot Industries, dedicated to uploading, sharing, and downloading 3D print models for free. It is considered as one of the top digital printing communities that allows any user to access the model and modify its existing design for either re-uploading or personal use. The file repository has a huge community of 3D designers who have successfully helped the site in uploading nearly 2 million STL files.
- CGTraderCGTrader is one of the world’s largest marketplace offering more than 800,000 custom models that are licensed for the user’s buying, selling, and downloading of the 3D printable files. However, to access these models, you have to create a free account on the website.
The site allows you to browse a wide category of designs, mainly including digital printing, computer graphics, and low-poly models. It will also enable you to go through the gallery to witness the work of other registered users or participate in forum discussions and design competitions.
- MyMiniFactoryIt is one of the most popular digital design sharing platform offering great quality models while assuring their printability and quality testing. It was launched in the year 2013 and is available in a variety of languages other than English, such as Italian, Chinese, Spanish, German, etc.It is managed by iMakr and has a community of more than 200, 000 users and 10,000 designers, allowing them to share either free or paid 3D printable designs. Apart from this, you can also have the advantage of contacting a professional to design a model of your choice.
- Cults.It is a marketplace that offers both free and paid STL files for the users. It enables you to follow your favorite designer and get notified whenever they post new designs. In addition to this, you can also interact with other users and download their designs for printing it later.It was founded in 2014 and is available in different languages such as English, Spanish, and French. The community has a collection of more than 40,000 models that are of high-quality and can be easily supported by a 3D printer.
- PinshapePinshape is a 3D printing community that has the best collection of print-ready models available for free download. It is a platform where users can find, share, and sell their designs. They can further use it to build their brand and generate revenue.Being founded in the year 2013, its community includes over 70,000 designers and manufacturers, which are headquartered in Canada. One advantage of this platform above others is that it provides you the opportunity to edit or print their design without downloading it with the help of its 3DPrinterOS.
- TurboSquidTurboSquid was founded in the year 2000 in New Orleans, Louisiana. The community has approximately 600,000 stock models, which can be available for either free or premium. It is easily navigable as you can filter the options by filetype aids while choosing a particular design.
The website is best used by the 3D modelers to improve their creativity in developing models and building their career as a professional. Also, the designs can be available in a variety of formats other than STL.
- YouMagineYouMagine is an online community website for 3D printing enthusiasts, which allows them to upload or download the free models for printing. It was launched in 2013 and is run by Ultimaker, which is an open-source digital printing company. The site has a collection of more than 15,000 STL files that can inspire users to create their designs or improve their creativity.
- SketchfabThis community enables you to share, discover, buy, or sell the 3D models. It is a rapidly increasing 3D, VR, and AR repository consisting of over 2,000,000 users and thousands of user-generated 3D print files.
You can easily navigate its library with virtual reality. If you are a premium user, then you will have the benefit of choosing whether to share your designs or make it available for download.
- 3DExportIf you are looking for a marketplace that can offer you with quality models and CG textures free of cost, then choose 3DExport. You can also use the site for buying or selling of the 3D print models by creating a designer’s account.
The website allows you to access more than 10,000 STL files for downloading. You can even browse through the different categories of 3D printable models or apply filters to find the desired file for 3D printing.
- XYZprinting 3D GalleryXYZprinting is another online repository that offers both free and paid 3D printable models that are handpicked by the best 3D designers or artists. It has a dedicated gallery of nearly 9,000 models that you can easily access once you are registered with the site.
It was founded in 2013, and allow users to browse through different sections of their gallery for creating their collection of 3D print-ready models.
- NIH 3D Print ExchangeThe NIH 3D Print Exchange is a popular community that allows sharing, distributing, and downloading the printable models. It also provides a set of tools that will help you to create and share your models.
The website is mainly dedicated to developing models related to science, mathematics, engineering, and technology. It consists of around 7000 models that are available in various other formats other than STL. Apart from this, the files are also compatible with any 3D printers.
- Free3DFree3D provides a rich collection of 3D models that can be used in CAD, 3D printing, or game designing. The repository consists of over 70,000 models that can be either paid or free of cost.
Users can access a wide variety of model categories such as food, electronics, anatomy, sports, furniture, architecture, characters, vehicle, etc. It is available in different languages like English, Deutsch, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Korean, and more.
- ThreedingAnother online 3D printing marketplace where you can access around 4,000 models is Threeding. To find the right model suitable for your needs, you can use keywords to browse through various model categories like architecture, toys, fashion accessories, electronics, art, furniture, and more.
The 3D file repository has recently gained popularity among the individuals, technical enthusiasts, and CAD designers as it allows the buying, selling, or exchanging of files ready for 3D printing. Apart from this, the community also provides a digital printing service where designers can create a model according to your request.
- Aipos3dAirpos3d is a type of search engine featuring a variety of printable 3D models that are available for downloading and printing. However, every content present on the site is not its property as it can be taken from other external sources.
Here, you can search the desired model by using keywords, categories, images, or tags. To get the most accurate results, you can also filter it by selecting different options like most searched, most viewed, number of downloads, and number of liked models.
- GrabCAD LibraryIt is one of the largest online communities offering millions of free STL files. However, not every model present on the site is a 3D printable, which is why users should carefully check before selecting a model.
Besides providing 3D models for printing, the site is also a great place to access or download CAD designs or files. The community consists of around 6,420,000 members, including designers, manufacturers, students, or engineers, who share their ideas to cooperate in the development of new designs.
- RedpahIn this platform, you can find the premium or free 3D models that are ready to be printed. Here, you will get multiple categories to choose from, such as automotive, art, ornaments, toys, and more. Another feature that makes it the most preferred choice for the makers or designers is that you can sort out the models based on the category, price, and work of the popular designers.
- 3DShookThe 3DShook website has over 6000 models and is more dedicated to creating designs that can be printable. There are a lot of models that you can choose. However, if you are looking for premium quality 3D print files, then you can use its subscription service. It even allows you to use the trial gallery to try out the options before downloading.It was founded in 2014 and incorporates 1000+ models along with 40 different categories ranging from toys, tools, art, icons, office, and more. You can use the designs at a very affordable price. However, if you want to choose the subscription deal, then you have to pay according to the
number of days
- Zortrax LibraryZortrax Library is an open-source repository that allows you to download and browse the STL files for free. Later, you can use it to create the models using an FDM machine. It comprises of more than 850 models for a range of projects like architecture, education, engineering, games, art & design, fashion accessories, and many more.
- RepablesIt is a file repository consisting of 600+ 3D printed models that enable you to browse, download, or upload the files for sharing it with other users. It is a simple website containing basic files that can be available for digital printing. Unlike some websites, it doesn’t enable users to contact the makers or designers.
- 3Dagogo3Dagogo is an outstanding marketplace that allows the buying and selling of ready-to-print designs compatible with almost every consumer-grade 3D printers. It was founded in 2013 and is headquartered in Ukraine.
The site has a free library consisting of more than 435 models that are 100% viable for printing purposes. You can directly browse the model of your choice, depending on the category type.
- PileprintPileprint is a file repository consisting of over 90 3D print-ready models. These are available in various categories such as jewelry, bags, toys, robotics, sculptures, and more. The site allows easy access and sharing of files with other users in the community.
- 3Dupndown3Dupndown is a marketplace hosting more than 16,000 printable models that can be either free or paid. The community allows users to download or share their designs for extending their capabilities and achieve success in the competitive market. Besides, it also ensures that the designs are of professional quality and help them in their projects.
- FabblyFabbly is an excellent 3D printing marketplace that offers quality STL files in a variety of categories such as art, jewelry, gadget, electronics, toys, cars, garden tools, sports, and more. You can access the models after registering on their website and download it free of cost. Users will also get the advantage of buying or selling the designs easily.
- Libre 3DAs an open-source platform, Libre 3D hosts around 300+ CAD models that are free to use. The site is mainly dedicated to offer assistance regarding 3D printing, 3D printable object files, and much more.
- The ForgeThe Forge is a content repository for the 3D print models featuring the designs of Zheng3, who is a designer. The site showcases every detail of the models, thereby enabling users to easily download, share, or modify it according to their printing needs.
- PARTcommunityThe PARTcloud.net is a platform dedicated to the developers and engineers having a free repository of nearly 12,000 printable 3D models. The community uses a new tool called the PARTcloud function, which helps users in the easy sharing of self-constructed models and makes them available for download.
- Fab365FAB365 is a marketplace that offers high-quality designs in various categories like architecture, home, gadgets, and art. Users can register on the site to get access to the 3D printer files for downloading, buying, or selling as per their choice. It provides both free and paid designs. However, only less number of files are available free of cost.
- NASAIt is a website repository consisting of 3D printable models for the astronomical objects. It was created by NASA for educational purposes and showcase some of its great works. Here, the print files are available for free and are best suited for space or science projects.
- FabriblesIt is a very small repository for the 3D print-ready models. However, the site has diverse model designs that are unique and can be downloaded for free. Besides, you can also create your designs and share or upload them online.
- STLHiveThe STLHive website offers free STL files and resources for hobbyists, students, and inventors. The marketplace also consists of paid 3D models and has a good collection of objects like drones, robots, remote-controlled cars, etc. It even allows users to request the designers to create a model for their projects.
- InstructablesInstructables is another repository that enables users to explore, download, and share their DIY projects. A unique thing about this site is that it shares the step-by-step instructions and tutorials on the designs. Besides, users can even submit their queries to the designers regarding their model’s design.
- 3D Warehouse3D Warehouse is an online community where you will find a comprehensive collection of various print-ready models and related files. The designs here are free of cost and are developed using the 3D modeling software known as SketchUp.
The repository features more than 4,000,000 models and has an advanced search function to easily filter the database to get the desired outcome for the users. The various search option includes creation date, author, model complexity, tag, dynamic and printable model, etc.
- 3dSystems3dSystems is a platform offering complete solutions regarding the 3D designing of printable files, print materials, custom parts, and 3D printers. Apart from offering free models to download, the website can also supply the model parts and casting patterns upon your request.
- Dremel Lesson PlansThis website primarily targets the students who are either in elementary, middle school, high school, or institutions. It is one of the best choices if you are looking for in-school or in-house 3D printing. It consists of a ready-to-use curriculum with print-ready models that users can easily download after creating an account.
- Polar CloudThe Polar Cloud is a desktop and mobile-friendly website that has approximately 351,521 members, including entrepreneurs, educators, and students. The community is great for downloading free 3D print models and STL files, which was created to showcase the design, creation, and project-based learning all over the world. It contains more than 300 models in the repository.
- 3DKitBash3DKitBash is a website specializing in creating figures, dolls, quick prints, and more. The marketplace consists of both free and paid models, however, the majority are not available for free. An advantage of using this website is that they provide users with an option for trial before downloading. Besides, the design quality is also good.
- RinkakRinkak is a marketplace that offers models along with high-quality 3D printing service. The platform comprises of attractive models for students, hobbyists, children, and involves manufacturers and innovators from around the world. You can find both free and paid STL files here. However, the majority being the STL files.
- ShapetizerIt is a Chinese 3D printing marketplace that offers both free and paid STL models and files. It was launched in the year 2015 and is considered as one of the best sites offering free printable models. The models are divided into various categories like jewelry, electronic accessories, video games, movies, home, and more. You can get access to download or upload files after registering on their website.
- NIH 3D Print Exchange
The NIH 3D Print Exchange is a great community that allows sharing, downloading, and distributing models related to science and technology. Mostly, the models present on this site have a 3D printability feature and is used by scientists or science enthusiasts.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services operates this site. It has a huge collection of nearly 7000+ anatomical, molecular, and lab equipment models.
- FreeDeesFreeDees is a simple and easy-to-use website that provides a huge collection of 3D print-ready files for any user. It allows you to select and download the models from a variety of categories such as architecture, art, creature, education, fashion, electronics, toys, games, kitchen, tools, jewelry, people, characters, and more. Nevertheless, for accessing the website, you need to create an account first.
- YeggiIt is a dedicated search engine that provides free models that are available for 3D printing. It was launched in 2013, and its homepage highlights the popular searches related to the 3D models. The user interface also consists of filters that can help in quick searching of the desired model. It crawls through various digital printing communities and marketplaces to provide users with the best-quality printable files.
- STLFinderSTLFinder is a search engine repository that crawls through various 3D printing websites to provide users with quality STL models fitting their respective needs. It has nearly 2.5 million models with exceptional designs for various categories. The users can sign up and bookmark their favorite models for future use.
Bld3r is a social network that has a community of professional designers and makers who are free to share their designs and creations. The platforms enable users to access free models and collectively work with the professionals for developing new models. Apart from that, the site also offers tutorials and news related to the specific topic.
- 3D OrchardIt is another platform that allows makers and designers to share, create, and download the 3D printable files. First, you have to create an account to access other designs and share your own with the community members. Besides, you can also collaborate with other designers by liking or commenting on their designs. The website is easy to use and enables easy browsing options to edit and print the desired model.
- 3dsha.re3dshare is a marketplace that has a huge collection of 3D printable models. You can browse and download the files from a variety of categories such as art, fashion, jewelry, household, learning, gadgets, music, toys, science, games, and more.
- 3dPrintFileMarketThe 3dPrintFileMarket is an online community offering free 3D models that can be directly downloaded by the users. It is a marketplace containing more than 1000 models that can be either free or paid. The best part of using this website is that it provides a technical support forum to help customers download the files.
- CG Sci-FiCG Sci-Fi is a marketplace providing quality free 3D models related to science fiction. These models are mainly used in VR, VFX, games, or movies. The site also offers various categories like city buildings, props, kits, video footage, and more to narrow down the search for the users. It acts as an effective tool to quickly find the desired model of their choice.
- TinkercadTinkercad is a repository that is primarily used for downloading 3D models, coding, and electronics. The website allows many STL models and files to be downloaded for free. The target users can be both professionals and amateurs, including designers, hobbyists, teachers, and children.
- PrusaPrintersThe PrusaPrinters is another repository consisiting of nearly 2,200 model designs that can be downloaded for free. The community allows you to select the desired item from a wide range of classification, including household, toys & games, art & design, fashion, costume & accessories, healthcare, and more. It even provides tech support to answer all your queries related to 3D printing of their designs.
- MakePrintableMakePrintable is a 3D printing repository that allows users to share their creations with the community or download the desired models for digital printing. It also provides an added advantage to the customers by repairing and optimizing their files to convert it into a print-ready format. Besides, these sites allow both paid and free high-quality 3D models.
- GambodyThis online marketplace contains a repository of comic book or video game models that are precise, flawless, and high-poly. It allows users to download and share the files in STL format. Apart from this, the website makes sure that the files are optimized to be compatible with every 3D printer. Users can also sell their creations and earn from it.
- TridimensiaTridimensia is a search engine platform that offers both free and paid 3D printable models. You can use specific keywords while searching a model. Unlike other websites, it does not have a specific category or collection for showcasing them. However, it uses internet browsing history and preferences to enhance the user experience.
Africanfossils.org is a 3D file database having a huge collection of 3D models for African fossils, ancient tools, animals, and artifacts. The target users mostly include scholars and enthusiasts. The website contains nearly 180 models that can be downloaded for digital printing. Apart from this, it also enables users to share their designs with their community.
- ZimpleZimple is a 3D file search engine that improves the browsing experience of the users by offering personalized and relevant designs depending on their search. It has a wide collection of approximately 1,000,000 3D printable models that are collected from the best resources. Here, users can get access to both paid and free designs as per their choice.
- PrintMeASheepPrintMeASheep is another search engine that has more than 1,000,000 3D printable models compatible with any 3D printer. It allows users to choose from a wide range of listings such as decoration, gadgets, fashion, toys, games, robots, houses, medical, weapons, and more.
- happy 3DIt is a repository that contains various 3D print-ready models of spare parts for domestic appliances, which can be either paid or free. It has different model groupings like kitchen, house, high-tech, etc. The site has hundreds of models that are developed by designers from around the world.
- Remix 3DRemix 3D is a community created by Microsoft that allows modelers to share their designs. The site offers a wide range of categories to organize the 3D print-ready designs. There are thousands of designs in the library, which the users can implement for a variety of applications such as AR, VR, mixed reality, and more. The target users mainly include beginners, students, and kids.
Thus, the above websites have the potential to assist you with your 3D printing and designing needs. Besides, these can also help you to stay updated with the latest trends in the industry. Further, you can develop the best designs that can be readily accepted in the market or for covering your home project needs.