Aspects of fixed layout eBook conversion
As the development of eBook goes, fixed-layout is a rather multifarious format that can represent exact replica of printed pages and that is what makes the format such an interesting one. Though intended to accommodate digital comics, manga and book for children, with the release of new updates of Adobe Creative Cloud and latest versions of InDesign, large group of companies now have the freedom to create exact replica of more complex print formats.
If it was CSS and HTML that many of the companies providing eBook conversion services relied on to make an excellent Fixed Layout EPUB, it was soon changed with the InDesign updates. The new highly welcomed and loved export feature of InDesign eliminates the tiresome task of CSS and HTML conversion and creates impeccable and super-clear fixed-layout EPUBs even from the most complex of print layouts.
In addition to making the conversion easy, InDesign opens new possibilities that can persuade more designers to experiment with the unforeseen opportunities with digital content.
However, for anyone wanting to get a bigger bite of the pie, keeping both eyes open to fix some of the kinks would prove extremely helpful to stay ahead of the already raging competition.
- At the moment, hypertext’s are not exported with the latest export feature of InDesign. While it is a definite possibility in the future, one might want to keep this in mind while processing a conversion.
- You may not get the desired level of quality when transparent images are exported.
- The export follows the z-index and it may mishmash the layout up. Though it may not be problem for smaller pages, with larger pages, it can create many pieces that will not have any coherent reading order and may be overlapping with each other.
- It is noted that some of the typography practices suffer EPUB incompatibility and might miss during the export process.
- The export places the code created by the export on a word-by-word basis and it can tip off the developers as it is difficult to edit.
As you would know, with more intricate content being developed for the advantage of various publishers, the tide is in fact changing. It is definitely a good sign for the companies offering eBook conversion services that aim to make the most of this changing scenario sooner or later.
Staying updated with latest strides in the industry is inevitable for any professional service provider.