The job that a data entry clerk performs is often overlooked and they often choose to describe their jobs as ‘mechanical’, ‘monotonous’, and ‘tiring’. However, the real fact is that this is an important task that companies take seriously and they adopt stringent measures to ensure that they recruit the right personnel with effective data entry skills for the job.
Data is power and companies struggle to manage the ever-growing volume of data. Improper data entry, processing, and archival may lead to improper business decisions and customer dissatisfaction. The domain demands certain specific skills and companies typically look for candidates who have the required qualifications to do this job.
In this article, we have discussed about the responsibilities of a data entry clerk, the key skills that a professional should posses, the ways they can enhance their skills, and the parameters that companies use to hire executives for this position. If you are looking to explore a career in data entry, this article would benefit you with useful information on how you can make the most out of the available career prospects.
It all started during the 1980s, after the introduction of punch card data processing. This led companies to look for qualified staff who knew how to operate keypunch machines. Those staff had to punch in huge volumes of data that needed to be processed. Even though the operations of those days differ a lot from that of modern times, their responsibilities and the approach that they need to adopt still remain the same.
Data entry is the entering of data or information into the computer system for the processing and management of a company. The data can be entered through different input devices like a keyboard, disk, scanner, or even voice.
From the name itself, you can understand that the main role of data entry clerks is to enter data into specific files. However, you should note that the responsibilities of data entry clerks stretch beyond just mere data entry to other tasks that demand greater degree of focus and attention. Data entry clerks are not robots and they need knowledge and appropriate qualifications to fulfill their responsibilities with professionalism.
Different tasks that data entry executives perform
If you are an employer who’s looking to hire a clerk, you should know the skills that such professionals should have so that you are able to identify the right candidates for your job. If you are looking to build a career in this field, you should know the skills that you should possess in order to get a job:
If you are looking to hire executives for your business, you should note that there is no hard-and-fast rule that shapes your selection criteria. However, you should keep certain points in mind during the selection so that you can avoid issues in the future and build a highly-productive and trustworthy data entry team that would generate value for years.
Here’s what you should keep in mind while selecting a service provider:
- You should have a dependable infrastructure that cannot be compromised easily. This would involve your emphasis on the deployment of advanced data security mechanisms.
- Perform a background investigation and check references to know about the history of prospective candidates.
- Your selected outsourcing service provider should conduct regular process auditing and quality monitoring. It should also follow a dual keying system.
- You should deploy process automation software, which would streamline the work processes of your executives. This would mean that they are able to use their time more productively by taking their focus away from tasks that can be automated easily.
- It’s not a good idea to go for service providers that would offer the cheapest rates. You need to work with efficient professionals who would provide you with quality assurance. Cost is just one factor, but you cannot compromise on quality. Compare the packages of multiple service providers and check what you are getting. Next, ask them to handle a small task for you so that you can check speed, timelines, and work quality. This would allow you to identify the right service
If you are a data entry operator and have been in the job for quite some time, you might want to explore better job opportunities in the field. You should note that you must continue to update your skills and make constant progresses in order to build a stronger career. You can upgrade your skills through several ways. You may either update your skills on your own or you may use a computer system to improve your proficiency. You may also consider joining classes and benefit from a more structured learning environment.
Here are some really useful tips to improve your skills so as to be able to successfully meet data entry job requirements:
Every business looks for data entry executives who can deliver a high standard of data entry services and who would demonstrate high levels of sincerity, accuracy, and reliability. By outsourcing these services, businesses can benefit in various manner and utilize their in-house resources for more critical tasks. Whether you are a clerk or someone who’s looking for a job in this domain or an employer who is looking to hire staff, we are sure that this article has given you adequate information on this job prospect. Do let us know if you have suggestions. We would be happy to hear from you.