If you want to eliminate an image’s background or part of it in Photoshop, you have a stellar tool at your service – Photoshop background eraser. This tool blends the functionalities of Eraser and Quick Selection tools.
The color at brush’s center is sampled by background eraser tool. Once you start dragging the tool over your image at specific locations, pixels of the same color is deleted. With one click on your image,
- Background layer can be changed to regular unlocked layer
- Finer details such as hair can be isolated
Options For Background Eraser Tool
You can exercise various options when using this Photoshop background removal tool.
You can set the spacing, hardness, and size of the brush. To get a shapely feather side, you can set Hardness to 0.
There are 3 eyedroppers available for sampling.
- Continuous sampling wherein color beneath brush crosshair will become transparent
- Sample Once will sample the color clicked and keep removing it till the mouse is kept pressed
- Sample Background Swatch will remove clicked background color only while painting
You get to access 3 drop-down options over here.
- Discontiguous: Erasing of any color that the brush finds non-adjacent
- Contiguous: Only sampled colors are removed but colors not matching are left; perfect for image hair.
- Find Edges: This facilitates working on finer details and prevents removing of colors from sampled areas’ edges.
The default value is 30. If you go for higher value, colors, and hues of the surrounding area would be eliminated more.
Foreground Color Options
Your image may have traces of certain colors that you don’t want to remove. To protect such colors in the foreground, double-click on it and sample the color.
Background Eraser edits in destructive mode. This implies that the changes made are applied to the actual image and changes are irreversible. You should always use actual’s image’s copy or should get the background layer duplicated before using the tool. Use the tool for sampling a solid color if possible. You must change the dimensions of brush for painting over different sized areas. Brush shape can be made larger or smaller using ] or [ keys. You can navigate to ‘History’ in ‘Window’ under the History Panel for reverting any error. If mistakes confuse you, start on a fresh copy of the background layer by deleting the existing layer. You can always contact a renowned company like PGBS for availing of professional background removal service.
Other Useful Photoshop Tools Used for Background Removal